Sometimes I need to return to an otherwise finished project and tweak or fix some aspect that isn’t working. The latest was a minor but annoying issue in the candy shop.
I’m not sure if it was just from the weight of the jars or whether it suffered a bit of damage in the move, but the wall shelf in the candy shop was starting to sag:
(Excuse the untidy background of my work table.)
The shelf was originally attached with super-sticky tape adhesive. But as you can see, the front edge was beginning to sag downward. Every time I noticed it, I would try to push it back into the proper position, but soon it would be angled downwards again.
So I decided that I needed to shore it up a bit. I measured and cut some bass wood to create a bracket at each end to help hold the shelf horizontally. A bit of paint and some glue later, the shelf looked much better:
So not a big project, but a good one for peace of mind.
Wow, I’ve really been neglecting the blog, haven’t I? After the last large project, I guess I took a bit of a hiatus from crafting minis. Well, I’m back this week to show a little project I made. A few months back, I made a whole bunch of miniature seed packets. They are 1/4″ by approximately 1/3″. Each seed packet is different. I used images of seed packet art from the collection of The Label Man for them. (I’m sure it’s a copyright infringement in some way, but I figure they are for my own personal use only, so I’m probably in the clear.)
So anyway, I had 90+ teeny tiny seed packets hanging out in a bowl in my craft room and nowhere to put them. So I was pretty excited when this round of Iron Craft was announced: Store It. Making things that can store other things. So I made a miniature seed box inspired by vintage wooden seed boxes.
I made the box itself out of cardstock. It’s 1-1/4″ long by 3/4″ wide. Making the dividers was probably the trickiest part for me (it really took a lot of faith that they would be the correct size to fit and gluing the tiny flaps was really nerve wracking!) I then made some quick printies for the box labels to give it a more authentic feel. I then aged the printies by sponging on some beige ink – I wanted the box to look antique.
I thought adding a penny would help give a sense of scale to the box and seed packets. Each packet has flaps and is folded and glued so it’s not just a flat rectangle. I think it adds a bit more authenticity.
I’m really pleased with how this tiny box turned out. Of course there are a few things here and there that I wish were a bit tidier about it, but overall, I think it serves its purpose quite well and looks pretty cute.